Dependent Visa in Thailand for a Spouse or Child

Dependent Visa in Thailand for a Spouse or Child


What do you do if you plan to relocate to Thailand for work and want to take your family too? You’ll need to get dependent visa in Thailand for your spouse and children so they can stay in the country alongside you. Assuming that you’re getting a Non-Immigrant “B” Visa for yourself to work in Thailand, the process of getting dependent visas is fairly straightforward.

The visa that your dependents will be applying for is the Non-Immigrant “O” Visa for accompanying spouse or family members. You can sponsor your dependents (spouse, children, and parents) to get this type of visa if you belong to one of 3 groups:

  1. You hold a Non-Immigrant “B” Visa and Work Permit
  2. You hold a Retirement Visa and your dependents are under the age of 50
  3. You hold a Non-Immigrant “O” Visa and Work Permit to work in a foundation or charity

For those holding a Non-B based on employment from a BOI promoted company such as Iglu, any dependent children must be under 20 years old to qualify for the dependent visa.

child pulling a suitcase

Requirements for Dependent Visa in Thailand

To apply for their dependent visas, your spouse and/or child will need the following:

  • Passport with at least 6 months validity remaining
  • Completed application form
  • Recent photo, 4×6 cm in size with a blue or white background
  • Original and copy of Marriage Certificate (for spouse) or Birth Certificate (for child)
  • Copy of the sponsoring individual’s Thai Work Permit
  • Copy of the Info page and Thai Visa page of the sponsoring individual’s passport
  • Visa fee (The exact amount depends on which Thai Embassy or Consulate you’re applying at)

Depending on which Thai Embassy or Consulate your dependent is applying at there may be additional requirements such as:

  • Guarantee letter from the company of the employee addressed to the Royal Thai Consulate-General
  • Copy of the company’s registration
  • Copy of the company’s shareholders list
  • Copy of the company’s latest balance sheet
  • Copy of the company’s registration of value-added tax (VAT)

Since many Iglu employees hail from Finland, it would be good to point out a special requirement of the Thai Embassy in Finland for proving marriage. You are required to get a certified document from the local magistrate, proving your marriage on top of the actual marriage certificate and copies of it.

Because the exact documents required can vary according to where the application is filed, it is best to check the most recent information given for the Thai Embassy or Consulate you wish to apply at.

Dependant Visa in Thailand


Duration of Dependent Visas

When first applying for a dependent visa, your spouse or child will be granted a single-entry visa valid for a stay of 90 days.

Their stay can be extended for 1 year at a time by applying for an extension at the local Immigration Office in Thailand. The application for extension should be made when there is still at least 21 days validity remaining on the current visa.

Additional info

Once inside Thailand, your dependent will have to submit a 90-day report at the nearest Immigration Office for each 90 days they are in the country, just like you.

The Non-Immigrant “O” Visa for dependents does not allow them to legally work in Thailand. If your spouse wishes to work he or she should get the appropriate Non-Immigrant “B” Visa and Work Permit through their own employers.

Getting a dependent visa’s for your spouse or child to stay with you in Thailand is a piece of cake for Iglu employees. Our staff sorts out all the paperwork for you and walks you through the entire process. This is one element of moving to Thailand that you shouldn’t lose any sleep over.